The Lawyers' Chamber of Belgrade sent a letter to Petar Zekovic, the Chief of
the Belgrade Police Department, of the following content:
In the last few days, a large number of students and Belgrade citizens
addressed the Lawyers' Chamber of Belgrade, seeking our help in the realization
of their rights, the rights guaranteed by the international and internal
For the purpose of providing them with adequate help, we ask of you to answer
the following questions by Monday, February 10th:
- Who gave the warrant to the police cordons to block the streets of Belgrade?
- Who gave the warrant to the police to apply force on the streets of Belgrade
on February 02/03. 1997, against the students and other participants in the
- Who gave the warrant to the police to apply force and cause severe bodily
injuries to the student Rastko Kostic, member of the Main Board of the Student
Protest 96/97 on February 02/03. 1997?
- Do you hold information about the policemen who beat and used water cannons on
the participants of the peaceful demonstrations on February 02/03. 1997?
- Who gave the warrant to the police to violate the autonomy of the School of
Philosophy on February 02/03. 1997, and who were the policemen who entered the
- Were the students beaten from the moment of their arrest to the moment of
- Were the arrested students forced to sign false statements?
Respecting the rights of the students who were beaten and humiliated by police
repression, as well as the other participants in the peaceful demonstrations,
who are paying You to work CONSCIENTIOUSLY, EXPERTLY, ABOVE PARTY INTERESTS, and
in accordance with the REGULATIONS, we expect from you to supply us with the
requested information by Monday.